The Energy Engineering minor has arisen as a natural outgrowth of the large amount of energy-related research in the College of Engineering. For a number of years, courses have been developed across the College of Engineering, and the Energy Engineering minor is designed to coordinate these courses for students who have an interest in systems that are associated with all aspects of energy systems, such as generation, transmission and consumption. The Energy engineering minor, offered through the College of Engineering, is an optional program that encourages coherence in the work students undertake around energy engineering.
The following prerequisite courses must be taken for a letter grade and must completed with a combined GPA of 3.0 or better.
- MATH 1A, 1B, 53, & 54 (PHYSICS 89 may be substituted for Math 54)
- CHEM 1A &1AL or CHEM 4A
- PHYSICS 7A & 7B
- ENGIN 7 or COMPSCI 61A
- MECENG 40 or ENGIN 40, or approved equivalent
- ELENG 137A
- (Choose one) ENE, RES 100, CIVENG C106, CIVENG 107, or CIVENG 111
In addition to the above courses, students must choose two (2) courses from the following list (many of these courses have prerequisites not required of the minor):
- Architecture 140
- City and Regional Planning 119
- Civil Engineering C106, 107, 111, 113, 115, 156
- Electrical Engineering 134, 137B
- Energy and Resources Group 100, 101, C180
- Engineering 120, 194
- Environmental Economics 147, C151, 153, 154
- Environmental Science, Policy & Management 102D
- Geography 142
- Industrial Engineering Operations Research 172 or Statistics 134
- Materials Science 136
- Mechanical Engineering 106,109
- Nuclear Engineering 161
- Political Economy 101
NOTE: Some courses may require prerequisite courses that are not listed.
All courses for the minor must be taken on a letter-graded basis. No more than one upper division technical course can overlap between a student’s major and this minor.
The Energy Minor is open to any undergraduate who has:
- Declared a major on the UC Berkeley campus
- An overall GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of applying
- Completed ALL lower division requirements as listed in the “Eligibility Requirements” section above with a combined GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Applied at least one semester prior to graduation (you are NOT on the official degree list). No exceptions.
To be given credit for the Energy minor, undergraduates must:
- Fulfill all course requirements
- Maintain a GPA of at least 2.0 in each of the required upper division technical courses.
Submit the following electronically to email@example.com after completing all of the lower division course requirements, and apply at least one semester prior to graduation (you are NOT on the official degree list) :
- Energy Engineering Minor Application Form (PDF)
- Copy of Academic Summary from CalCentral
- Course Plan (Proposed semester-by-semester academic plan through graduation)
Upon completion of course requirements:
- Complete the Minor Completion Form (PDF)
- Submit form electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: This must be done no later than two weeks before the end of the semester.
If you have questions about admission or graduation requirements, email email@example.com.