The Energy Engineering minor has arisen as a natural outgrowth of the large amount of energy-related research in the College of Engineering. For a number of years, courses have been developed across the College of Engineering, and the Energy Engineering minor is designed to coordinate these courses for students who have an interest in systems that are associated with all aspects of energy systems, such as generation, transmission and consumption. The Energy engineering minor, offered through the College of Engineering, is an optional program that encourages coherence in the work students undertake around energy engineering.
The following prerequisite courses must be taken for a letter grade and must completed with a combined GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Math 1A, 1B, 53, & 54
- Chem 1A, 1AL OR Chem 4A
- Physics 7A & 7B
- ME 40 or E115, or approved equivalent
- EE 137A
- (Choose one) ERG 100, CE C106, 107, or 111
In addition to the above courses, students must choose two (2) courses from the following list (many of these courses have prerequisites not required of the minor):
- Architecture 140
- City and Regional Planning 119
- Civil Engineering C106, 107, 108, 111, 113N, 115, 156
- Electrical Engineering 134, 137B
- Energy and Resources Group 100, 101, C180
- Engineering 120, 194
- Environmental Economics 147, C151, 153, 154
- Environmental Science, Policy & Management 102D
- Geography 142
- Industrial Engineering Operations Research 172 or Statistics 134
- Materials Science 136
- Mechanical Engineering 106,109
- Nuclear Engineering 161
- Political Economy of Industrial Societies 101
All courses for the minor must be taken on a letter-graded basis. No more than one upper division technical course can overlap between a student’s major and this minor.
The Energy Minor is open to any undergraduate who has:
- Declared a major on the UC Berkeley campus
- Has an overall GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of applying
- Has completed ALL lower division requirements as listed in the “Eligibility Requirements” section above with a combined GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Applicants must apply at least one semester prior to graduation (you are NOT on the official degree list). No exceptions.
To be given credit for the Energy minor, undergraduates must:
- Fulfill all course requirements
- Maintain a GPA of at least 2.0 in the required upper division technical Energy courses
Submit the following electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org after completing all of the lower division course requirements, and apply at least one semester prior to graduation (you are NOT on the official degree list) :
- Energy Engineering Minor Application Form (PDF)
- Course Plan (Proposed semester-by-semester academic plan through graduation)
Upon completion of course requirements:
- Complete the Confirmation of Minor Completion Form (PDF)
- Submit form electronically to email@example.com.
Note: This must be done no later than two weeks before the end of the semester.
If you have questions about admission or graduation requirements, email firstname.lastname@example.org.